84 more Canadians leave Gaza through Rafah crossing, says Joly – National

On Sunday, 84 more Canadians and members of their families left the besieged Gaza Strip through the Rafah crossing, Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said.

In a post on X Sunday, formerly known as Twitter, Joly said the Canadians were heading to Cairo, Egypt.

“Today, 84 additional Canadians and their family members crossed the Rafah Gate,” she said.

“I would like to thank all our staff, including those working at the Emergency Monitoring and Response Center, for ensuring their safe pa*sage to Cairo.”

Story continues below advertisement

A daily list from the Gaza General Authority for Crossings and Borders, which contains the names of foreign pa*sport holders authorized to enter Egypt via the Rafah land crossing, expanded on Sunday to include 135 people with links to Canada.

The agency’s latest update, provided Friday, indicates that 376 Canadians, permanent residents and their relatives were able to leave the Palestinian territory through the Rafah crossing. The latest list provided by Gaza border authorities did not contain any Canadians.

The current conflict began on October 7 when Hamas militants k**led around 1,200 Israelis in brutal surprise attacks, taking another 240 people hostage.

Israel declared war on Hamas, launched a campaign of airstrikes and cut off food, fuel, water and supplies to Gaza, home to 2.3 million Palestinians.

Story continues below advertisement

Territory health officials say more than 11,500 people have been k**led so far, two-thirds of them women and children, and another 2,700 people are missing.

&copy 2023 The Canadian Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button