Report into Hockey Canada’s alleged 2018 s****l a*sault allegations not released despite appeal

Hockey Canada says the final report of an independent arbitration panel that reviewed a 2018 allegation of s****l a*sault against a woman involving members of that year’s world junior team will not be made public in reason for an appeal.

The organization said in a statement Tuesday that the committee received a final third-party investigative report into the matter in November 2022 and held a hearing to determine whether any of the accused players violated the code of conduct of Hockey Canada and what sanctions could be imposed. .

“This hearing has concluded and the committee has provided its final decision-making report to all parties involved. Shortly thereafter, a notice of appeal was filed, as permitted by Hockey Canada’s investigation and adjudication procedures,” Hockey Canada said.

“Given that the appeal process, which is expected to begin in the near future, will take place behind closed doors (privately), we are unable to share details of the report, including its findings, at this time, to ensure that we do not interfere with the integrity of the appeals process,” the statement said.

Story continues below advertisement

The statement does not specify who filed the appeal, or whether it was filed by one or more people.

All players on the 2018 World Junior Team remain suspended by Hockey Canada and are ineligible to play, coach or otherwise participate in any Hockey Canada sanctioned event – ​​including international competitions – pending the end of the appeal process, the organization said.

The investigation report by the law firm Henein Hutchison LLP also remained confidential throughout the trial process, which itself took place in private.

News broke last May that some members of the 2018 World Junior Team had been accused of group s****l a*sault after a Hockey Canada gala in London, Ont., in June 2018, after TSN first reported time that Hockey Canada had settled a civil suit with the plaintiff. .

Story continues below advertisement

Two investigations — one by London police and another by law firm Henein Hutchison, retained by Hockey Canada to conduct an independent investigation — were launched a day after the incident allegedly occurred. Both were shut down months later without any charges or sanctions against any of the players allegedly involved.

After the allegations became public last year, both investigations were reopened.

Court documents first reported by the Globe and Mail last December and confirmed by PKBNEWS revealed that London police say they have “reasonable grounds” to believe that five members of the 2018 junior world team allegedly a*saulted s****lly a woman after the 2018 Hockey Canada gala.

No charges have been filed and none of the allegations in court documents have been proven.

Story continues below advertisement

Hockey Canada has faced reckoning over its overall handling of s****l a*sault cases involving players. Media reports revealed that the organization maintained a reserve fund, funded by contributions from its members, which was used in part to settle cases of s****l misconduct.

Hockey Canada has stated that the fund will no longer be used for this purpose.

Major sponsors including Nike, Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire, Scotiabank and Esso also withdrew their sponsorship, demanding changes within the upper echelons of the organization.

After months of pressure, the entire board and management team resigned in October. The newly installed board and management have promised to change the overall culture within the sport and the organization.

&copy 2023 PKBNEWS, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button